Is AWESOME. 10 8” guns, quick at almost 35 knots with the equipment and consumables that I run and manuevarable. Fantastic destroyer hunter and very good at killing other cruisers and harassing BB’s. The New Orleans I guess is my real concern. On paper, she looks like a real downgrade. Slower, one less 8” gun, same reload time and same secondary guns. Anyone that has the New Orleans, am I missing something or should I just keep the Pensacola to grind to the Wichita? I’m thinking about making the Des Moines my first tier X as I love the cruiser class. Thanks guys!
I have the New Orleans and I'm now 1.000.000 credits away from buying the Wichita. The New Orleans is a good ship as well. if you loved the Pensacola (like I did) you will love the New Orleans. Sometimes I just miss the extra turret on the back.
- Pensacola is great! Excellent guns and very high dpm for its tier. Melts destroyers and wrecks any cruiser in medium-high range. In close range you'll need to be careful about torps. Turret turning speed is a bit slow but it's not a big concern. Be very careful against battleships because you are basically a citadel city.
- New Orleans is meh. Guns are very similar and don't offer much improvement over Pensacola's guns. Reload perk helps a bit. New Orleans is bigger and slower, which basically makes him an easy target for battleships.
- Wichita is awesome. I absolutely loved it with over 52k avg damage. Excellent guns, AA armament is getting good and mobility is great.
- Baltimore (my current tier) is special... I haven't played much yet with this ship (50 battles) but it seems okay. Secondary guns are excellent. 5 double-barrel 127mm turrets. Deals around 300 HE damage. Guns are slightly better than the Wichita. But the mobility... just sucks. You are as fast as an Iowa and you don't turn much faster than him. AA is of course better than Wichita.
- DesMoines, it looks OP as hell but I don't have it yet. Credit grinding ya know...
Funny, I'd been thinking of making a thread on the Pensacola, as I'm really enjoying it as well.
I originally thought I'd go straight up the DD tree since they're so powerful, and I'm at the Farragut...but I keep finding myself going to the Pensacola for more fun.
Really enjoy the guns, and I concur that they melt destroyers. The blend between damage and ROF is really nice, it just feels "correct," if that makes sense. DD guns too often feel like pop guns, and battleship guns are slow, but those American 8" can back reliably chew through targets.
It's a great ship for kiting away from bigger or multiple enemy guns. Had one game recently where I kept peppering a Scharnhorst and another BB at long range while leading them further and further away from the rest of the battle. Ended with no kills but over 40k damage, and feeling like I'd outplayed the opposition.
Not having many games where I wrack up huge damage numbers, but I'm reliably getting over 40k per game, and that's a good feeling measured over time.
I haven't tried any other cruiser lines yet. I don't see all that many IJN CAs, but plenty of German ones, which I hear are good. Can anybody with experience in both USN and German CAs compare them?
The German Cruisers are fantastic because the rapid fire 6” guns are backed up by torpedoes, speed and agility. The don’t hit as hard as the Americans or Japanese, but the hit more often.
The ships don’t “feel” as tough as the Americans. But they just keep hitting the enemy over and over again.
The Japanese cruisers get quite good 8” guns and are faster than the Americans and Germans with the right loadout. They also carry amazing torpedoes. But the torpedoes are in dreadful arcs and will get you killed if you try and use them at the wrong time. At the right time they’ll sink anything.
Last Edit: Apr 11, 2018 12:59:08 GMT by sanguinarydan: bad grammar